Pages

Monday, June 25, 2018

Ad Analysis: 1970s Stop and Shop


Alright here's something cool that I found online: the Google Newspaper Archives. So for those of you that don't know what it is, it's a repository of online newspapers that Google has archived and are available for public viewing.

One of the newspapers that they have on file is The Day which serves my area of Southeastern Connecticut.

I thought it would be a great idea to take a look back at some of the old ads that I could find and share them on here with you guys.

The first ad of notable interest that I stumbled across was this Stop and Shop ad in the Jan 2, 1970 edition of the newspaper:


The first thing that I noticed was that this particular ad used the older style shopping-cart logo ad which dates back to the Stop and Shop / Bradlee's era of stores.

What I first took a look at was the store locations at the bottom of the ad, which states there are locations at 902 Bank Street in New London, CT and at 1001 Poquonnock Road in Groton, CT

Incidentally, neither location remains a Stop and Shop at this point. The New London Stop and Shop moved down the road to its current location at 117 Boston Post Road in Waterford, CT. The former New London store has since been turned into a research laboratory for General Dynamics, who manufactures submarine vessels for the U.S. Army. The Groton store also moved in 1982, when a new Stop and Shop / Bradlee's store opened up a few miles north at 220 Route 12. After relocating, Big Y moved into the space, where it remains today.

So yeah, I don't exactly know how to end this now. Let me know what you think of these types of mini-articles, and I hope to have more coming in the near future

~RS

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy all your articles...brings me back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. The old Stop and Shop in Groton moved later than 1982. Maybe 5 to 10 years later?

    ReplyDelete